Thursday, September 10, 2009

Questions

Last night during our Youth Service I asked students to write down questions they might have about God, being a Christian, etc. After sorting through all the typical "What color shirt would God wear?" sort of questions I found several that I believe show the level of spirituality in students of today.

Things like....

"What is the purpose of life? If there is such a grand heaven that is controlled by one all powerful being, then why life? Are we just like one big entertainment center for God or what? I want to know if God has so much power and is all knowing then why do we exist? Why would he even make a world with so much hate and pain? Why wouldn't we all just stay in heaven? Why are we here and for what purpose?"

So what is the purpose of our lives? The easy answer would be to say its all about "bringing Glory and Honor to God". But come on, how many of us truly live our lives out like this? Now I'm sure there are some but I know for me this isn't the way I process every second of my life. There is something in all of us that yearns to have meaning or purpose. The only way I have found to fulfill this desire for significance is to choose to live my life for something (or Some ONE) greater than myself.

When I choose to surrender my ego to the "greater cause" that is God's movement throughout the world I begin to realize why I'm here.

It's about life-change and relationship.

We may be some grand entertainment for God, however, the story of humanity is not some grand chess game where we are the thoughtless pawns being moved and placed at the discretion of some disconnected player. Rather we are the Masterpieces, the Poetry, the Workmanship (Eph. 2:10) of a loving God who created us with relationship in mind. He made us to experience the fullness of His Love by dedicating our lives to His movement. Sin jacked that all up for us. Therefore we must have a change of life, a connection with God, that comes only when we are called by Him into relationship.

Who am I living for? Why do I do what I do? Am I content to be a slave to my own selfish desires and ego or am I willing to surrender who I am to become the Masterpiece God created me to be?

No comments:

Post a Comment